Written By: Press Launch Posted by David Elliott
Printed Date: 10-27-2020
Governor Laura Kelly on Tuesday joined Protected Youngsters Kansas to encourage Kansas households to hunt artistic alternate options for normal Halloween actions that can encourage security and mitigate the unfold of COVID-19.
“It’s unlucky that this 12 months, Halloween will look somewhat bit completely different for Kansas children,” Governor Laura Kelly mentioned. “However through the use of commonsense security measures, households can nonetheless take pleasure in vacation enjoyable whereas limiting the unfold of COVID-19. I encourage all Kansans to learn and observe Protected Youngsters Kansas’ commonsense tips this weekend.”
The protection tips are as follows:
Planning Your Costume:
- When choosing a fancy dress, make sure that it’s the proper measurement to stop journeys and falls, whether or not round the home or on the road.
- For higher visibility, adorn costumes and baggage with reflective tape or stickers and, if attainable, select gentle coloured clothes.
- Select non-toxic face paint and make-up each time attainable to make sure children can see as a result of a full-face Halloween masks can hinder a toddler’s imaginative and prescient.
- Facemasks to guard from COVID shouldn’t be adorned with paint or magic markers as they are often poisonous.
When Halloween actions take you exterior the house – Suggestions for Youngsters:
- Have children carry glow sticks or flashlights or put retroreflective tape on costumes to assist youngsters see and be seen by drivers.
- Use sidewalks each time attainable and solely cross the road at corners and crosswalks. Look left, proper and left once more when crossing the road and make eye contact or wave at any drivers stopped on the intersection to verify they see you.
- Put digital gadgets down. Preserve eyes up, not down at your display, when strolling and crossing the road.
- Look ahead to vehicles which might be turning or backing up. Educate youngsters to by no means dart out into the road or cross between parked vehicles and be particularly cautious round driveways and alleys.
- Be part of children beneath age 12 for trick-or-treating. If children are mature sufficient to be out with out supervision, inform them to stay to acquainted areas which might be effectively lit, keep on sidewalks if obtainable, and trick-or-treat in small teams. Be certain they’ve a cellphone in case of emergencies, however remind them to not let or not it’s a distraction.
When Halloween actions take you exterior the house – Suggestions for Drivers:
- Be particularly alert and take additional time to search for children at intersections, on medians and on curbs. Youngsters are excited on Halloween and should transfer in unpredictable methods.
- Decelerate in residential neighborhoods. Keep in mind that widespread trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 to 9:30 PM.
- Scale back any distractions inside your automobile, comparable to speaking on the cellphone or consuming, so you may think about the highway and your environment.
Whenever you’re planning Halloween actions at house:
- Use glow sticks and battery-powered faux candles to gentle up jack-o-lanterns as a substitute of actual candles. This may assist stop burns from open flames.
- Let adults do the carving. Youngsters can do the designing and scooping out pumpkin seeds, however with regards to sharp knives, depart the carving to the grown-ups.
- Preserve decorations away from open flames, gentle bulbs and heaters. Paper decorations and issues like cornstalks can catch hearth simply. Double verify to verify smoke alarms are working accurately and evaluation your hearth escape plan with your loved ones in case there’s a hearth.
- Retailer family cleansing merchandise out of kids’s attain and sight. All of us have extra cleansing merchandise and disinfectants within the house proper now and younger children are sometimes eye-level with objects on counters and beneath kitchen and loo sinks. So, bear in mind to maintain cleansing provides and hand sanitizers the place youngsters can’t attain them and save the Poison Assist quantity in your cellphone in case there may be an emergency: 1-800-222-1222.
For KDHE steerage on safely celebrating Halloween through the COVID-19 pandemic, go to https://www.coronavirus.kdheks.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1468/KDHE-Steerage-for-Celebrating-Halloween-PDF—92320
For extra ideas and sources to maintain children protected from accidents through the pandemic – together with a Dad and mom Information – go to the Coronavirus Sources web page at https://www.safekids.org/parents-guide-child-safety.
Further Halloween concepts, tips and proposals, can be found by way of the Facilities For Illness Management and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
(Info courtesy Workplace of the Governor.)
Let’s block advertisements! (Why?)